Hammerwich is a small village and civil parish in Lichfield District, Staffordshire, England, south-east of Burntwood.
The name may derive from hamor (Old English: a hammer) and wīc (Old English: a place of industry, specialist agriculture or trading), indicating a smithy or metal-working site.
Charcoal burning, nail making, agriculture and coal mining have all been prevalent in the village over the years.
Hammerwich Hall is described as the residence of George Stanley who called himself Lord of Hammerwich. He lived 1435 to 1508 and was describing himself as the Lord of the manor in the 1480s. The earliest chapel date is 1238. It is logical to believe a high status house existed close to the chapel and chapel field. This is the land which is part of Hammerwich Hall farm.
The earliest mention of a Hall farmhouse is 1645 and was owned by William Heath. Coins found on the fields include those of King John (1199-1216), Edward 1 (1239-1272) and Edward 111(1361-1369). Other articles found nearby include Roman fibulas, broaches and buckles.
A dig was undertaken in March 2012 on the field next to the current farm house. It yielded a piece of Roman mortarium used for grinding or pounding food. It has been suggested it has a Mancetter-Hartshill connection and could be 2nd to 4th century.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson’s Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hammerwich like this:
HAMMERWICH, a chapelry in Lichfield-St. Michael parish, Stafford; on the south-eastern verge of Cannock chase, on the Wyrley and Essington canal, and on the South Stafford railway, 3 miles WSW of Lichfield. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Lichfield. Real property, £, 213.
Pop. in 185, 270; in 186, 991. Houses, 198. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the opening of new coalmines. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Auglesey.—The chapelry was reconstituted within narrower limits in 1860. Pop. in 186, 530. Houses, 101. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £250. Patrons, Certain Trustees. The church is old, but tolerable; and there are charities £34. A mausoleum of the Ashmalls is near the church.
Amenities in the village at present include a post office,this has now closed down, a community centre, a Women’s Institute hall and St John the Baptist Church. There are also numerous green lanes, footpaths and streams in the surrounding countryside.
In July 2009, the Staffordshire Hoard, a collection of over 3,500 items of Anglo-Saxon gold and silver metalwork, was found in a field 0.7 miles (1.1 km) south west of the village.
|Population||691 (Census 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||West Midlands|
- “Civil Parish population 2011”. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- “Names and codes for Administrative Geography”. Office for National Statistics. 31 December 2008. Retrieved 15 September2009.
- Parsons, David. “The name ‘Hammerwich‘“. Portable Antiquities Scheme. British Museum. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- “Minutes of the 13 October 2009 Meeting of Lichfield District Council” (PDF). Lichfield District Council. Retrieved 8 January2010.