The attacks were not claimed, but an organization linked to the Jihadist group Daesh and active in Afghanistan previously declared war on the country’s Shiite minority, about 20% of the Sunni-majority Muslim country with 36 million inhabitants.
At least 12 people died on Tuesday as a result of a double bombing in two separate locations in western Kabul, an Afghan government spokesman said. The explosive devices, aimed at the mini bus, were registered in the Hazara ethnic region of the capital, said Said Hamid Rushan, a spokesman for the Ministry of the Interior.
The first explosion occurred near the home of Mohammad Mohaqiq, a prominent Hazara leader, and in front of a Shiite mosque. Most Hazaras are Shiites. The second explosion also targeted a minibus, but Rushan said information was still being collected on the attack.
The attacks were not claimed, but an organization linked to the Jihadist group Daesh and active in Afghanistan previously declared war on the country’s Shiite minority, about 20% of the majority Sunni Muslim country with 36 million inhabitants.
On May 8, a car bomb and two roadside bombs exploded outside Syed-al-Shahada, a girls’ school also located in the predominantly Shi’ite area of the capital, causing 90 deaths, mostly students. The attack was also unclaimed, but the United States accused Daesh.
The attacks take place at a time when the United States is preparing to withdraw its remaining 2,500-3,500 troops, along with 7,000 allied NATO forces, ending its longest-lasting military intervention abroad, unleashed shortly after the September 11 attacks. 2001.
The total withdrawal is expected to be completed within approximately three months, on the anniversary of that symbolic date, a decision that has raised fears of an increase in violence in a very insecure country.
Source: with Agencies