The number of victims makes this the most lethal incident in the past four years.
Authorities revealed that security forces were ambushed on Saturday as they returned from a search operation in an area close to a forest in the district of Bijapur (Chhattisgarh state), a stronghold of Maoist rebels.
“So far we have confirmed that 22 members of the security personnel have been killed,” said deputy director-general of state police Ashok Juneja, adding that the rebels had taken the weapons, ammunition, uniforms, and shoes of the victims.
According to France-Presse (AFP), the wounded were meanwhile transported to two hospitals in Bijapur and Raipu, the capital of the state of Chhattisgarh.
Ashok Juneja said that more than a dozen people are still missing, and also indicated that there are also victims to register on the side of the rebels, without specifying a number.
A police officer heard by AFP warned, therefore, that the balance of the number of victims could still increase.
Through Twitter, the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, has already commented on the attack, stating that “the sacrifices of the courageous martyrs will never be forgotten”, while Interior Minister Amit Shah wrote that India “will continue to fight against these enemies of peace and progress “.
Over the past few years there have been several attacks by Maoist rebels that have killed thousands of people.
Source: with Agencies